The Romanian market provided an attractive opportunity for private healthcare
MidEuropa acquired Regina Maria in 2015. The management team has remained committed throughout the partnership and continues to grow the business domestically and internationally under MidEuropa’s stewardship.
The Romanian market provided an attractive opportunity for private healthcare due to continued strong demand from Romanian patients and corporate payors, driven by convergence with Western European service quality expectations and increasing levels of disposable income. At the company level, MidEuropa saw Regina Maria as a market leader with unique capabilities to consolidate the market, grow via greenfields, expand medical specialties, and augment its market-leading service quality.
As of 2022, Regina Maria has invested over €200m making 30 acquisitions and building 18 greenfield facilities along with continuous upgrade of equipment and expansion of existing premises to ensure the patients enjoy the highest quality healthcare services and ever-improving user experience. In 2019, Regina Maria opened the Cluj Hospital, the only private hospital in the second largest city in Romania, as part of a methodical greenfield and M&A expansion effort in Central and Western Romania.
- Revenues nearly quadrupled
- Corporate subscriber numbers increased from c.250k to over 650k
- Number of hospitals increased from 3 to 8 (2 JCI accredited); polyclinics from 19 to 56, laboratories from 9 to 36, imaging centres from 4 to 27
- Investments in Digitalisation of internal and patient-facing functions
- International expansion via the acquisition of MediGroup in Serbia
ESG initiatives highlights:
- >40% of the senior management team and >80% of the overall team are women
- Ranked as one of the top employers in Romania, with leading staff satisfaction and engagement levels (85-90%)
- CEO among top 10 most admired CEOs in Romania (2020)
- Sponsored scholarship programmes for medical students and training nurses
- Expanding access to safe, high-quality healthcare in the smaller, historically underserved towns
- Organic Growth
- Acquisitive Growth
- International Expansion
- Operational Excellence