MEP Consumer / Retail Roundtable
The pandemic is catalysing or accelerating a number of challenges and opportunities in the consumer sector.
MidEuropa recently hosted a virtual roundtable which looked at current trends, most pressing challenges and key opportunities in this space. The session discussed:
- Increasing input cost (raw materials, packaging, energy, fuel) pressure – but the ability to pass the price rises onto customers is largely determined by the strength of the brand and market positioning; at the same time, there is a strong pricing pressure coming from the growing power of discounters / private label
- Longer lead times as global supply chains not yet fully recovered
- Pressure on wages and offshore hiring owing to difficulty in recruiting workers across CEE for certain roles across multiple skill and experience levels
- Heightened focus on health(ier) products, sustainability, provenance and niche/innovative categories
- Rise of online and direct-to-consumer channels as consumers continue to spend more time at home and travel less
Experience sharing can be very beneficial, which is why we bring together our 40-strong portfolio (past and present) for regular dialogue.